Popular Posts

Frustration of Exam Results - Visible Revision Works

It has been as frustrating for your teachers as it has from you not knowing the grades of your results but we all can soldier on and show exam boards, regulators and government just what you are capable of.

Looking at the mark scores of each student and comparing it with the information I had from the revision survey, one thing is clear: those who revised on average did better than those who didn't and those who did 'visible revision' (copyright Milne2013) did better than those who did 'invisible revision'.

Let me explain what I mean by visible and invisible revision. Visible revision is something that I / your teacher can check and give you feedback on. Research shows that the easiest way to improve is to try and task, get feedback on how you have done, try it again and do better, get feedback on how you have done and try it again until it is perfect.

A little patriotic video to show what is drummed into a Scottish kid from a wee small age.


Trying and failing and trying again is education. At first you tried to write, it was scribbly and all over the place. Then you practised and got better. You weren't writing perfectly from a young age (or ever if you've seen my handwriting). You only fail when you give up trying to improve (see me and handwriting again).

So visible revision is something that you can check and get feedback on. The most popular response in the revision survey was 'read over notes at home'. This is all very well but how good are your notes? Do you understand your notes?

Someone suggested this as a revision task:

 'I believe that there should be revision tasks set where we bring In our own hand written revision notes and explain how we revised, this would therefore make the student know what their writing and how they are doing it, It also shows the teacher what their students are picking up and what they're not'

That is a great suggestion for 'Visible Revision' as it is something that can be checked and measured. 

School revision classes are great revision resources but you must also make what you've learned in the session 'visible' to your teacher to check understanding.

The next most popular mode of revision was using the blog. I'm astounded by the people who used the blog because many weren't in my class though only my class seemed to post responses. 

The blog is for EVERYONE. Even if you're not in my class you can post answers and I will feedback on them. It's ok; outside work, rugby and the gym I have no life. I will mark your work. The top achieving student was the top 'visible learner'. I saw the most in answers, feedback and retrying to the point of perfection from that student and it delighted me with their score.

'Invisible Revision' is great but not the most effective kind. If you don't check what your looking over at home your revision is not the as effective as it could be.

The best advice is be active, be visible and try hard.

'I just tried really hard; that was all' - If Robert the Bruce was tweeting today!
Share this article :
 

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. English Advice from an Accidental Teacher - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger